'EAT DUBAI' - The theatre production happening around the dinner table.

This weekend I went on a breakfast date with my husband.

It's the first date we've ever had.

The truth is, he isn't really my husband. It's all lies.

We met to make sure our 'back story' measured up.

Just in case anyone asks any of the usual questions.


You know, how we met. Where we went on our first date. What he does for a living. Make sure there are no gaps in our story.

...just in case anyone asks.

Don't worry. I'm not looking for a visa and I'm not trying to cover up my double life as a secret agent - well, not this time.

I'm preparing for 'EAT DUBAI', an interactive theatre production where I play 'Emma' a slightly bonkers British ex-pat who has shunned her western clothes and culture in favour of an abaya and the Middle Eastern way of life - much to the annoyance of her long-suffering husband David.

EAT DUBAI Angry Bairds

Purchase a ticket to 'EAT Dubai' to be granted a seat at Emma's 30-place dinner table. Emma will be promoting the Emirati culture through some fantastic food and by dazzling you with knowledge she's gained from studying the world around her - as well as from her PHD in Comparative Culture studies. (Yes darlings, I am a Doctor, dont you know?)

Unfortunately for 'Emma', her guests have other ideas – and by 'guests' I mean the four other actors seated around the table in amongst, you, the audience.

Time for the roll call... 
Dave: Emma's husband, who's struggling to be supportive after seemingly losing the British girl he loved to her Emirati crusade. He made his fortune bringing chips & curry vans to the UAE, which he coined 'Curry in a Hurry'.
Kim: an outspoken Lebanese 'Kardashian type' who's on the prowl to snare a rich husband with a Ferrari.
Ali: a local Emirati, with a humour bypass, he dreams of being a stand-up comedian.
Bruce: the karaoke-singing waiter who loves to promote the Filipino culture through song and dance.

Biographies of the cast can be found HERE

Hussein Al Srehae EAT DUBAI
Hussein Al Srehae as 'Ali'
Sophie Paris & Blake Stemm - 'Kim & Dave'
Ken Bruce as 'Bruce'

EAT DUBAI will be the first theatre of its kind performed in the UAE. It's unique as the audience won't just be sat passively in the dark watching the performers; they're right there amongst the action and will be able to interact with the characters around them. EAT DUBAI is immersive theatre - it breaks the imaginary boundary between reality and fiction: the fourth wall. 
I've lived in Dubai for 9 months now, and I'm still in awe of how such different nationalities and cultures, and contrasting religions manage to coexist here. The talented writers of EAT DUBAI have identified national and cultural stereotypes and used these quirks as the tipping point for dramatic scenes.

Crash (2004) Not into social commentary? See it for Ryan Phillippe in a Cop uniform then

It reminds me of my favourite film - Crash. Not seen it? Well, it's a film about racial and social tension in Los Angeles. Instead of separating the cast into victims and offenders, every character takes their turn to demonstrate their prejudices - which stem from ignorance and misconception rather than malicious personalities. EAT DUBAI plays with this format but with cultural stereotyping.

As an actress you relish the chance to work with writers who can craft a character with realistic human behaviour: Those that have the confidence to create a personality that can show their best side, then their worst - and still have you rooting for that awesomely,  retarded,  hilariously ignorant, stupid but cool rocks star.

What the creators of EAT DUBAI do, is takes this concept, throw in lashings of humour and serve it up through the mouths of a motley crew of dinner guests.


Emma Haylan Hall EAT DUBAI
Rehearsal time for Sophie, Blake & Moi

I've been acting since I was 7 years old when I landed my first professional role in a pantomime production of Cinderella. Getting to leave school at lunch time to 'do a show'? And being able to buy the new My Little Pony with my child performer wages? I thought life couldn't get any better! However, throughout my teens I suffered from crippling shyness and social anxiety but I used my stage and acting class to escape this. It makes no sense that the thought of walking into the lunch room would fill me with terror ..but walking onto a stage in front of hundreds of people? Meh – no problem! 

EAT DUBAI
Me & Hubby - 'Emma & Dave'

EAT DUBAI will be my theatrical debut in the UAE and words cannot describe how excited I am to be a part of this unique production with such talented people. (Sound like a lush don't I? No really, check them out!) The extensive character research and long rehearsals have reawakened my passion and respect for the theatre – after graduating, all the acting work I did was for screen. Dubai doesn't have a thriving theatre scene but that is set to change. When I saw Raw Theatre's production of Cyrano De Bergerac last year it set a high bar. Raw is planning around five productions for 2015 and many west end shows are being relocated to Dubai for a short run so hopefully this could lead to a theatrical venue to warrant a season full of performances.

Opening night is next week so the whole crew has daily rehearsals. I'm also heading to Dubai Museum to bone up on local history as well as lunch at The Sheikh Mohammed Centre for Cultural Understanding to familiarise myself with the Emirati Cuisine. In an interactive theatre production, who knows what could happen - but I hope you will be there to join me in the fun. 

EHH
xxx

EAT DUBAI runs from 14th - 22nd January 2015
(no performance on 20th)
You can BOOK TICKETS ONLINE HERE 
Tickets will guarantee you a place at Emma's dinner table, an authentic Emirati meal and a unique night out you will want to tell your friends about.

EAT DUBAI Angry Bairds Theatre

Further details about EAT DUBAI can be found on the Angry Bairds website: www.angrybairds.com
EAT DUBAI
Written by
Sophie Foster, Nazish Khan & Farheen Khan
Directed by
Nina Hein & Thabit Al Mawaly
Details of this talented crew can be found HERE




No comments :

Post a Comment